Sunday 31 May 2009

It's gotta go!

Ref my last little experiment with an online weather service. Well it was good. But!

Unfortunately it insists on refreshing its status every one to two seconds (and would probably have been every half second if my internet connection had allowed it!), which is one heck of a waste of internet bandwidth. Especially considering that normally the updates to the figures from the site are actually Half-Hourly!

So I'm taking the realtime facility connection off my blog, as it's slowing down my viewing of my links, and may well be interfering with the viewing of my blog by others . However I would still recommend this weather site as an alternative to the BBC weather sites.

Actually rather reminds me of a previous place of work where I helped set up a Webcam broadcasting a live continuous stream into the internet. It had only been running for less than 24hrs when a guy from our business internet service provider phoned us up and said he was very impressed with the view from our webcam, but unfortunately it was consuming so much bandwidth that it was actually slowing down the internet access to the rest of Manchester's city centre! We immediately frantically dived into the webcam setup to cut the resolution down, and cut the 24fps down to one frame per minute! A definite case of 'oooerrrrr, whooops!'

5 comments:

Keith said...

Reminds me of a time when I was a lad and we lived at Norton-juxta-Twycross.

He was a keen radio amateur (a pirate actually, I found out later!) He had an ex-army transmitter of about 10 kw input to the final RF amp.

At that time he could only use morse (1947) and every time the key went down all the lights in the house; and the street light outside went slightly dim! We were on a 240 DC supply then (a readily available source of the necessary HT). So you could stand in the lane and read the morse code from everybodys lights. Ah, them were the days!

Bandwidth? Pffft!

Keith said...

Oh, in case anyone else should happen to read your blog (meow!) I must explain that "juxta" is a Norman-french slang word meaning "next to" or "near enough to throw stones at".

Keith said...

UPDATE! UPDATE! UPDATE! UPDATE! UPDATE! UPDATE! UPDATE! UPDATE! UPDATE! UPDATE! UPDATE! UPDATE! UPDATE! UPDATE! UPDATE! UPDATE! UPDATE! UPDATE! UPDATE! UPDATE!

Kevin 'In Salford' said...

Hi Keith,

Does that indicate you'd like me to post some updates?

Twenty updates in one go are rather a lot you know!

;)

Keith said...

No, I only shouted UPDATE once, but your blog is so empty that the others are the echoes. . . .