Sunday 4 July 2010

My sepia photo: "The Four Generations"

I know that most people like to have lots of family photo's scattered around their homes, but I have to admit that I don't.  Perhaps it's because I have just the one which is far more meaningful to me than any collection ever could be.  It's known in our family as "The Four Generations".   

This is actually a scan of my own copy of the original, but as far as I know my elder sister still has the actual original photo as taken by the photographer.



On the left is my grandfather, on the right is my father, and seated is my great-grandfather with my elder sister as a baby on his lap.  That's four direct descendants in one photo.

I seem to remember being told it was taken in Argent's Mead, Hinckley, Leics.  It would have been in late 1948 but I don't know what the occasion was. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's interesting, all this family history etc., but my real daughter told me she is not the slightest bit interested in her ancestors (including me!).

I did start researching our family tree and created a folder of pictures, birth and death certificates and other old documents, but she is my only surviving relation and she said that when I kick the bucket she will "get rid of" my personal effects and get a house clearing firm in.

My adopted daughter, Wendy, has her own family history so she's not interested. This is why I don't do "Sepia Saturdays" anymore.

justin said...

That is an amazing photo, Kevin, to see so many generations on one photo. We're fortunate that my wife's mum is still alive and active ... she's just turned 90, and has the pleasure of seeing all her great-grandchildren from time to time. I've yet to get round to getting down all her family history ... unfortunately she's not keen to do it herself, as I think it stirs up too many sad memories for her (she's the only surviving member of her generation).